TezMillerOz

TezMillerOz

People in Publishing Showing Their Privilege

In short: someone Tweeted something that was unintentionally ableist. She was called out on it, so she deleted it. I never saw it, so I never saw how many people called her out. She took to her Facebook to talk about it. I know she didn't mean any harm. But the comments on her not-Public (Friends-locked) Facebook post are very telling. Not hers - the comments of her friends who are also in publishing. Including authors. It shows that even though people may seem liberal or vote Democrats, they might still be inconsiderate towards people with disabilities. OK, so if they didn't think the joke was ableist, that's one thing. Another thing entirely when they're told it's ableist...and then they go on rants about "victim complex", and how people are "looking to be offended/outraged", and "if they're mad about this, wait 'til they hear about Tr*mp." My Twitter thread (click the title of this post - should link there) includes screenshots of some of the comments from people in publishing you may have heard of (i.e. male YA authors). Also includes my reactions to their fuckery. In short: authors act differently in private than they do in public. Namely, they're inconsiderate dicks without compassion in private, no matter how much of a supposed "ally" (actuality, they're a fake ally) they may seem in public. If the post and comments were public, I'd archive.is them. But since they're not, you'll have to take my word for it, unless you follow the original poster.