TezMillerOz

TezMillerOz

45 Master Characters (Trade Paperback) - Victoria Lynn Schmidt In 2008 or earlier, I learned that character arcs were troublesome for me. In 2009, I requested titles of craft books that might help me, and Victoria Lynn Schmidt's 45 Master Characters is a gem. It explains the difference between stereotypes (cardboard cut-outs) and archetypes (realistic characters), going into detail about the traits and flaws of each of the 45 archetypes, as well as examples. However, I don't read classics, I watch only a few movies a year (if that), and my TV tastes are mostly animated comedies, so the examples here didn't really connect.It all sounds straight-forward, until I realised that my character has traits of two archetypes, which may double my work. And the sections on feminine and masculine journeys...there is a gender-bending example for each, but basically it seems to say that the more action-packed stories are masculine, and the more reactional ones are feminine. So while overall 45 Master Characters may seem like a feminist text, it still seems to pigeon-hole the so-called fairer sex.Still, I've dog-eared many pages of this library copy, and have just ordered my own to keep.